One of Canada’s largest, our kidney and urinary research group is very committed with impressive achievements. No other centre in Canada holds as many Canadian Institute of Health Research grants. Examples of recent accomplishments:
- Developed one of the first clinical guidelines for chronic kidney disease treatment. Adopted in more than 20 countries, this is one of the most influential guidelines ever for nephrology.
- Performed the first kidney removal from a living kidney donor, without the need for major surgery, using laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery techniques.
- Pioneered minimal access surgery techniques in Canada to destroy kidney stones and perform other procedures.
- We are a Canadian leader in the creation and development of a tumour bank for prostate cancer, enabling Canadian researchers to save tumours samples and study them.
- We are performing Canada’s largest-ever clinical study investigating hemodialysis complications.
Click here to make a gift to Kidney and Urinary Disease Research.
Click here to visit the website for the Research Institute of St. Joe’s Hamilton