Sisters of St. Joseph of Hamilton
The Sisters of St. Joseph came to Hamilton in 1854 and began to work for the poor and needy residents of this growing and important trade centre. For the Sisters, it was an honour to serve others, and, with the onset of a cholera epidemic, the Sisters healthcare mission began in earnest. Working in railway sheds near the Hamilton harbour, they risked their lives to care for the sick and dying victims of the deadly disease.
In 1890, the Sisters established St. Joseph's Hospital, a 25-bed facility located on John Street, to respond to the needs of immigrants, orphans, the poor and the dispossessed.
And so begins the story of St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton.
The 20th century saw many advances, including the opening of the Nursing School in 1911 and a partnership with McMaster University and its groundbreaking new Medical School in 1969. Advances in technology and the appointment of legendary clinical and scientific leaders complemented the strongly imbedded Mission of Caring. By century’s end, many further achievements had been realized, including the founding of the Firestone Institute for Respiratory Health and the creation of the Father Sean O’Sullivan Research Centre. Canada’s first hospital sponsored Ambulatory Centre was also founded during this time and the former Hamilton Psychiatric Hospital was welcomed into the St. Joseph’s Healthcare family.
St. Joseph’s Healthcare is honoured to be a partner in the St. Joseph’s Health System. Along with system partners, St. Joseph’s Lifecare Centre, Brantford; St. Joseph’s Villa, Dundas; St. Mary’s General Hospital, Kitchener; St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Guelph; and St. Joseph’s Home Care, Hamilton, St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton is one of the largest corporations in Canada devoted to healthcare and known for genuine compassion and caring, locally and around the world.
Today, St. Joseph’s Healthcare spends about $500 million every year, bringing the most advanced services to hundreds of thousands of patients at three campuses. We train thousands of students to care for future generations, and more than 400 highly skilled research staff bring new discoveries and new hope to patients around the world.
Over the course of 150 years of advances, the clinicians and staff at St. Joseph’s Healthcare remember their history and their motto forever remains, ‘It is an honour to serve our community.’